Friday, 27 February 2009

Driving like Nigel

Folks, when I was a youngster (I still am to compared to many, you know who you are, no names - no pack drill) I used to race around the countryside like Nigel (pictured above) in a variety of cheap as chips motors...
Interestingly I am not even sure chips are that cheap anymore, these are the English chips I am talking about, many of you Johnny foreigner types will know them quite incorrectly as french fries -everybody knows the only things the french fry are snails and members of the resistance. Last time I pooped into my local chippy I came away with not much change from a fiver...shocking

I do however love chips....


So the point, my cheap as chips motors were designed for 'boy racing' around the lanes of Britain as fast as I could.. in classics such as


The Triumph Spitfire Mk IV

It was my first motor and was nicknamed (as is the fashion amongst youngsters) Alice, which actually stood for Advanced Locomotive Intensive Cruising Equipment...mega


And my personal favourite the Delorium..


Here is a pic of me at college with my car and a cheeky young lady I picked up using the 'wing doors' (I used Just for Men - junior to create the classic grey look so beloved of early nineties student chicks).



A sad fantasy my friends, the real beast was a VW Scirocco GTX...boy could she put a ford fiesta back in its box, especially going up hill..




I have sadly evolved into a Renault Grand Scenic driver, obsessed with my fuel consumption figures (cool read out on the dash) and the amazing versatility of the seating arrangements (really, as an engineer...), this is driven in part by the fruit of my loins and lack of bulge in my wallet...

I hereby declare an intent to evolve back...I will drive again....but not in a sad middle aged racer way I hope...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

one day the kids will grow old and want to move away....(you hope) and then you may drive your lovely wife around in any kit car you please....as long as it has heated seats !!!