Most of this is not the point however, the point is on arriving back in the the UK, replete with an empty bank account and the infamous 'beer paranoia' the last thing I really needed, and I do mean the last thing (other than the aforementioned skunk perhaps) was a 3.5 hr delay on a train.
What is wrong with us as a people, we know the trains don't work, we know we will not have a 'good' time using these parodies of efficient public transport and yet still we book tickets, and in what numbers (more than there are seats normally).
Having boarded a train for Plymouth from Reading at 21:04, to be told at 22:44 (near newbury or somewhere) that due to a smally problem we would be heading back to Reading I had but one thought...If only the Germans had one the war, if only Hitler could have sat on his ego (wrt Russia) for a wee bit longer, if the Yanks had just stayed out of what was really; none of their blasted business then perhaps, just perhaps I could have been whisked home in fine style on one of these...
Rather than one of these (and yes, for my international readership, this is not a model)...
Rather than one of these (and yes, for my international readership, this is not a model)...
2 comments:
Hog
I agree that British Train Travel has plenty of room for improvement. I would offer some alternative, and maybe more palliative solutions to Germany winning the war.
1. Earlier privatisation may have allowed the under investment of BR to be remedied earlier.
2. A better Great British mentality that meant more of our customer focussed businesses improved.
These are, I admit only 2 very basic, and obvious thoughts. However, we do NOT want to be German, or the German Fed Rep of Britain or any other type of combination. It may be a painful moment on a crappy train, but in hindsight it will make you proud to be British; never give in to selling your national soul, it will eat you slowly and steadily until you become a European.
Traitor!
Would it have helped if the Welsh had been appointed 'TRAIN LORDS OF THE WESTERN ISLES'.
Also, while I take some of your points what about Gyros? I can barley live without the Gyros...
Post a Comment